Repair Station: Keeping Kit Going
We love gear. Gear helps us to go nice places and do good things. The problem is, the gear we love the most gets used the most. And all that season after season, year-in year-out abuse takes its toll.
We don’t want to chuck gear on the scrapheap every time we get a tiny tear or a zip breaks. Imagine how gear feels being traded in for a newer model. Poor gear. Think of the all the memories we’ve shared – we've been through too much together.
The longer we keep our clothing, tents and rucksacks going, the less we buy and the smaller our impact on the planet. It’s the reason we’ve always repaired our own products, and the reason we’ve been repairing outdoor kit from any brand, since 2004.
Fancy new jacket? Nah, give us a patched-up patchwork jacket full of memories any day. It’s not just good for the environment: it’s a badge of honour.
Repair Station - Hack, Patch and Sew
Take your clothing, tents and rucksacks to our Repair Stations in Hathersage and Keswick. Anna and Viri love a challenge, whether it’s saving a much-loved rucksack or converting an old jacket into a Mountain Rescue dog’s new winter coat.
You can drop your kit off at any of our stores or post it to us if you don’t live nearby (just remember to enclose a note saying what needs doing and a contact number). We’ll always contact you with a quote before undertaking any repairs and are able take payments by phone.
Prices (not including return postage)
- Small heat patch: £10
- Large heat patch: £12.50
- Poppers: £5 each
- Main zip replacement £30.00
- Stitching: £26/hr (£10 minimum)
- Trousers adjustments: £10 - £15
- Rucksacks zip replacement: £30 - £40 dependent on complexity
- Custom builds: £26/hr (£10 minimum)
Waterproof and Down Washing Service - Refresh and Reloft
If your waterproofs have stopped beading or your down bags and jackets are getting a bit cold and clumpy, our Ambleside team have a washer and dryer and they're not afraid to use them.
You can take your items to any of our stores or post them direct to Ambleside with this PDF form included. We use Nikwax® cleaning products and can wash and dry: waterproof jackets & trousers, insulated jackets, sleeping bags, expedition suits and salopettes.
Prices (includes return postage)
- Down Jacket Wash: £30
- 2 x Down Jacket Wash: £45
- Waterproof Tech Wash & Reproof: £25
- 2 x Waterproof Tech Wash & Reproof: £30
- Sleeping Bag Wash (up to 1.5kg or under 700FP): £45
- Sleeping Bag Wash (over 1.5kg or over 700FP): £55
Here's how it works
- Before your item goes through the washing and drying process we thoroughly inspect the item for any signs of damage. If we find damage on the initial inspection you will be informed. We can then either do the repair for you before cleaning, or return the item back without washing and drying.
- Repair costs and lead times will be discussed in-store and you’ll have the opportunity to proceed or decline. We recommend that before you send the item in, you take some time to inspect your item.
- We will wash your garment as per the care instructions on the garment. If your item is unsuitable for tumble-drying we will not be able to wash it. (This is more applicable for insulation layers and sleeping bags). Please give us a ring on 015394 54954 though and we can discuss your options.
- After lots of abuse, some stains are well and truly bedded into the fabrics, and even the best wash won’t always get rid of a stain.
- There is a very slim chance your item may be damaged through the washing and drying process. If damage does occur, we reserve the right to repair the damage at our cost.
- We will work towards a 7 day turn around, but during busy periods this may take longer. You will be given an idea of time scales upon booking.