Alpkit Foundation Research Grant
Each month we receive many worthy applications from clever researchers looking to fund projects, so many that we have decided to take a proactive approach and assign a pot of cash to this specific area.
And so, it is with great pleasure we announce the first Alpkit Foundation Research Grant. We are accepting applications for a £5000 research grant for projects that address one (or more) key challenges that face the outdoor industry. Here are some ideas to give you an idea of the areas of research we think are important.
Tackling issues that relate to overproduction and end of life solutions to outdoor kit.
Microfibres, Transport into the outdoors.
GREENER PRODUCT PERFORMANCE
Performance enhancers such as DWRs.
HEALTH, CULTURAL & SOCIOECONOMIC STUDIES
Diversity and inclusivity in the outdoor industry, health benefits of the Great Outdoors.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are open from 30th September 2018 until 31st January 2019.
The successful applicant will be notified at the end of March.
1. Applicant must either:
* hold a PhD;
* or have equivalent experience in the relevant subject area;
* or have a sponsor with a PhD or equivalent experience in the relevant subject area (see details below)
2. Have a salary, or guarantee of a salary during the award period. We will consider requests for directly allocated funding towards salaries as part of the grant, but we expect overheads to be covered.
3. The proposed project must be completed within 6 months (12 months for where monies utilised as a seed fund) of project start date; project start date must be within 6 months of receipt of Alpkit Foundation Research Grant
4. It is preferable if applicant is able to ensure open access to resulting work
WE WILL NOT FUND:
* Applicants who are employed by a commercial organisation -
* Ongoing projects
* Research outside our themes
* Costs already incurred
A sponsor must be familiar with the applicant’s academic record and with the topic of the proposed project. Sponsors will be required to comment upon the suitability and feasibility of the project.
The sponsor is responsible for ensuring that the project is completed within the timescale stated and that the applicant receives appropriate training and meets all statutory requirements (including ethics committee approval, animal licences and requirements of regulatory authorities where applicable) for the work he, or she, will undertake, and follows the relevant health and safety policies.
1. WHY IS THE ALPKIT FOUNDATION FUNDING RESEARCH?
Over the past 3 years, we have received many wonderful applications requesting that we support research projects. Most of the time, the trustees have looked upon them very favourably and understand how difficult obtaining funding is for scientific research, but they just don’t fit with the AKF criteria.
We want to be able to support research that tackles the challenges that the outdoor industry faces. As a result, we hope to create a better industry that can continue to enable, inspire and grow a community that loves and connects with the world’s wild places.
2. CAN I USE THE GRANT AS A SEED FUND?
We are happy for the grant to be used as a seed fund to unlock further funding so long as the resulting work still meets the eligibility criteria above.
3. WHO WILL REVIEW THE APPLICATIONS?
The Alpkit Foundation Trustees in collaboration with a panel of experts will review the applications.
4. WHAT WILL YOU CONSIDER WHEN MAKING YOUR DECISION?
We will review:
* How your idea addresses the challenges outlined in the themes
* The potential for your proposed research to make a significant advance in your field
* Your track record as a researcher, relative to your career stage
* The feasibility of your approach and its likely outcomes
* The suitability of your research environment
5. WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION?
31st January 2019.
5. WILL YOU NOTIFY ME ONCE MY APPLICATION HAS BEEN CONSIDERED?
Yes. We will notify all applicants of the result at the end of March.
6. CAN I APPLY FOR SALARY COSTS?
Research expenses such as salary costs for yourself and any staff may be requested
but must be carefully justified. Where salary is requested, time spent on the project will need to be supported by a full audit trail.
7. WILL YOU COVER OVERHEADS?
No. We will not fund overheads such as:
* Technical and administrative staff whose time is shared across several projects
* Library facilities
And that's it - good luck with your application!