The Kapar 8 person storm shelter, (also known as a bothy bag or group shelter), is a really useful addition to your hillwalking and mountaineering safety kit – particularly when the seasons turn.
- Waterproof and windproof fabric creates warm microclimate
- Ripstop polyester is lightweight and durable, saving pack weight
- Reinforced floor ‘seats’ in black fabric makes it easier to get
Burned out from exhaustion, buried in the hail? The Kapar will give you shelter from the storm. Once you’re huddled inside, it forms a windproof and waterproof barrier, creating a warm and dry microclimate to hide in.
We’ve used a lightweight ripstop nylon to reduce the pack-size in your rucksack and keep the weight of the shelter down to 810g. This makes it a small weight penalty to pay, (working out at just over 100g per person in a 8 person party), for the extra safety and reassurance in difficult conditions.
The floor uses a separate reinforced fabric in a contrasting black colour, providing extra durability to a high wear area, and making it easier to find the bit you sit on to get the Kapar up quickly in a hoolie. The Kapar also includes TPU windows on both sides so you can see when the storm has passed – or watch it battering away outside!
Tunnel vents aid airflow inside the shelter. without letting in a load of weather. One of these vents also doubles up as the Kapar’s stuff sack, so you don’t lose a separate bag in strong winds. The Kapar comes in a bright orange colour to make it easy to find in an emergency.
- Waterproof and windproof fabric with fully taped seams to create a warm and dry microclimate
- Ripstop polyester is lightweight and durable, reducing rucksack weight and pack-size
- Reinforced floor ‘seats’ in a contrasting black fabric makes it easier to set up
- Bright orange colour is easily visible in an emergency
- TPU seam-taping is longer lasting and more resistant to wear through hydrolysis
- TPU windows on both sides to see when the storm has passed (hopefully!)
- Two drawstring nozzles to allow airflow without letting the weather in
- One of these drawstring nozzles doubles as the stuff sack so you don’t lose it
- Kapar 8 is suitable for up to 8 people but 6 is rather comfy
- 3 Year Alpine Bond
117cm x 100cm x 180cm
Main Fabric: 190t Polyester, 2,000mm TPU backer (with TPU tape)
Floor Fabric: 150d Polyester 5,000mm TPU backer
Product Care Information
Always air your Kapar out to dry after use - this stops mould building up and prolongs the life of the seam taping. To clean it, either spot clean with a mild detergent and warm water or gently hand wash the shelter. Never use a washing machine or tumble dryer to clean. Or a mangle. Mangles are inadvisable.
The Kapar’s fabric is treated with a completely PFC-free durable water repellent (DWR). PFCs are potentially harmful man-made chemicals that have been found to build up in the environment. We don't like the sound of that so we're working hard to get rid of them.