To celebrate the Summer Solstice and to help you Go Nice Places DoGood Things we have partnered with Alpkiteer Pete Mcneil from Adventure Pedlars to offer a unique overnight bikepacking experience.
With over 16 years of working in the Outdoors, beginning with a degree in Outdoor Studies in the Lake District (where he met his now wife,Alice), Pete has held an SMBLA Mountain Bike Leader Award since 2008 and has worked as a full-time bike guide & mechanic in the UK, Spain, Nepal and NZ . As an expedition leader he has worked with youth groups all over the world and since being inspired to get out on his own cycling adventures at the tender age of twelve (way before ‘bikepacking’ was ever a thing..) he has embarked on countless ambitious personal challenges and expeditions in a vast array of environments; from Scotland to Nepal, Lesotho to Patagonia.
In recent years he has also been one of the UK’s most successful self-supported racers, finishing at the pointy end of some of the world’s toughest off-road bike races; including both the HT550 and Silk Road Mountain Race.
Back in 2012, Pete &Alice set out from the Peak District on a ‘honeymoon bike ride’. Two years, 22 countries and 20,000km later they showed up in New Zealand with a fresh perspective on love, life, riding bikes, sleeping outside, talking to strangers and pretty much everything that happens in the places in between destinations. In 2015 they returned to Derbyshire and started Adventure Pedlars.
Alpkit and Adventure Pedlars partnered up backin 2015 and Pete hasbeen using Sonder bikes and Alpkit clothing and equipment ever since.
In an effort toencourage more people to get out and extend their rides to include overnights,Pete offers guidedand self-supported experiences for bikepackers from his Peak Districtbase. Pete offers a full range of Alpkit bikepacking luggage and equipment for rental so you can try bikepacking with your own bike, alternatively you can choose from his fleet of Sonder rental bikes.
- This competition prize is for up to 6people to attend a 2 day bikepacking experience in the Peak District on 19th/ 20th June. (all riders must be over 16years old).
- The ride will start from Alpkit Hathersage from 9am on Wednesday 19th June - there is an opportunity to stay over on the Tuesday evening (18th) in the Adventure Pedlars bunkhouse, to get bikes and kit sorted ready for a couple of days riding.
- There will be a full day of great local Peak District riding,covering some of the Dark and White Peak's best trailsguided by Pete along with members of the Sonder/Alpkit team.(To make the best of the experience riders should be comfortable riding the equivalent of 'red' graded trails and to cover 40-50km in a full day)
- The ride will finish with awildcampbivi night out in a remote location,(tents will also be available).
- Breakfast andEvening meals and drinks and some snacks will be provided.
- The following day will ride back to finish in Hathersage for approximately 4pm
- There is an opportunity to use your own bike or to select any bike from the Sonder demo bike pool. All luggage can be provided along with most bikepacking equipment - ideally bring your own sleeping bag.
- There's an opportunity to meet and ride with some of the team behind Alpkit and Sonder and to use a range of bikes and kit - you may even get some sneaky peeks at new prototype bikes and equipment...
Competition now closed - winners have been emailed so check your inbox for details!
Terms and Conditions
- By entering, you agree tobe added to the AlpkitEspresso and Adventure Pedlars Newsletter and can unsubscribe at any time
- Entrants must be available for thedates of 19th/20th June 2019.
- Alpkit cannot provide travelor any other support not outlined above
- Entries available only to humans over the ageof 16(please no entries fordogs, cats or kangaroos)
- Competition entries close on Friday 14th Juneand the winner(s) will be contacted via email
- Entrants should ideally be comfortable riding the equivalent of 'red' graded bike trails and to cover 40-50km in a day
- Alpkit is not responsible for any injuries sustained as a result of the ride.
- Alpkit canbe held responsible for helping to provide great memories froman amazing 2 days.
- Beneficial for competition entrants tohave an interest in 'type 2 fun' with a sense of adventure
- Entrants must like to Go Nice Places and Do Good Things